ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Newbie

Post by goldengirl on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 pm

i have been to a few events in the past and loved watching. i have been debating on having my girl Emmy try jumping this year. we have never done this before and from watching at past events i don't think that will be a problem as i have seen others trying to coax their pups to jump in. my question is for the first event we try should i just sign her up for one splash event in case she wants nothing to do with it or should i sign up for a couple of them? if i sign up for multiple splashes would it be better to sign up for the earlier splashes in the event and consecutive ones or spread them out with time in between?

thanks

goldengirl

My Name : barb
My Pet(s) : Emmy & Jake
Number of posts : 5
Leo Tiger

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Newbie

Post by Sugarlandsue on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm

you can always just pay for a practice session that way you are not committed to jumping if she wont.
Sugarlandsue

My Name : Vickie Raburn
My Pet(s) : Sue
Number of posts : 77
Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:23 pm

I dont wanna speak for milt or brian or whoever runs the event you want to attend but they are usually very flexible and helpful with newcomers. I would just sign up for a couple and if she doesit good add more if wanted if not just use time in between to practice and acclimate. Remember to work exit ramp before so they know there way out. Dont get discouraged if the ramp is a pain. it is very odd to a dog. My dog took 15 min to get to go up ramp the first time but 2 seconds for first jump in the pool. But brian and i had to just aboutdrag her up the ramp. She was fine with water just not ramps. Anyway just dont get frustrated and dont worry about jump or dont jump just think about fun. Remember that your dog feeds off your energy. If you are confident so will your dog. Have fun and im sure someone there will help you out like they all helped us. Enjoy your weekend you will never forget your first competition and jumps.

Last edited by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wasn finished)
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! thanks

Post by goldengirl on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:09 pm

thanks for the suggestions. i just didn't know if splash sessions fill up early and if i would need to pre-register or not. i'm so excited to try this. i have been to a couple events in the past and loved just watching but i think it would be so exciting to actually join in and give it a try.

goldengirl

Leo Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah they can fill up quick. I would join a couple its worth the money
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by justine on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:34 am

Barb - welcome to the UAD family! Sweet! Where are you located?

Depending on where you are located, there are actually a few practice locations so you can get your dog accustomed to a pool and dock setup even before an event. Also, some of the events are a lot larger and busier, so sometimes with new dogs it is less stressful to come out a smaller event so you can get a lot more help and practice time.
justine

My Name : justine
My Pet(s) : Abbey & Kolby
Number of posts : 29
Sagittarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ksummers on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 pm

You could also come to an event on the first day versus the last day (the last day usually has finals) and seem to be less busy. I did this with my dog for the first few events to get her accustom to everything. There are always lots of people willing to help out with newcomers, that is what I love about the UAD family!
ksummers

My Name : Kathy
My Pet(s) : Eden and Cooper
Number of posts : 8
Scorpio Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by goldengirl on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 am

Justine and Kathy,

thanks for the advice. we are near Toledo Ohio. there are 2 events coming up in the area.
i might take her for a practice jump at the first one and if she does well then i could sign her for actual competition at the second one.

goldengirl

Leo Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by justine on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 pm

I won't be at Anderson's, but we are planning on attending the Rib-Off in August.

Feel free to stop by and say hello regardless of whether or not you are competing! We have a tent with a Team Ruff Waters banner. Sweet!
justine

My Name : justine
My Pet(s) : Abbey & Kolby
Number of posts : 29
Sagittarius Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Laxdawg14 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm

speaking from experience, i knew my dog could jump off a dock at a lake, but was uneasy about the exit from the pool. So i signed up for aflac outdoor games in 2009 and before the competition started Milt was EXTEMELY helpful and encouraging for a first time jumping in an official competition as were all the other more seasoned competitors.
Laxdawg14

My Name : Davis
My Pet(s) : Champ- Yellow Lab
Number of posts : 6
Leo Rat

http://www.twitter.com/laxdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by B. Scott on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:44 pm

If you're worried about the exit ramp, find a friend with an agility Aframe or dogwalk. A few trips over that and the ramp is a piece of cake. I think there are lots more Aframes than UAD exit ramps.

B. Scott

Number of posts : 102
Pisces Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top