ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Bikejoring with your dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Bikejoring with your dog

Post by Sugarlandsue on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Does anyone out there bikejore with thier dog? I am starting this to help condition and exercise my dog, she loves it but I want to find the proper harness for this purpose. If anyone has any input on this or can tell me what you use that would be great. I have done some research on the web, there are many kinds out there, I would just like to hear from you as to what you use. Thanks

Happy Trails ya'll

Vickie and "Sue"
Sugarlandsue

My Name : Vickie Raburn
My Pet(s) : Sue
Number of posts : 77
Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Bikejoring with your dog

Post by Sara on Tue May 01, 2012 10:29 am

I do it with a few of my pups, and we also skijor in the winter. I use the sledding harnesses. Annie Hammond, who's a long time dock jumper and big time musher, hooked me up with connections for sled dog harnesses, but there are ton of sites out there to find some.

SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I RBIMBS
Kiss My Axel
Zesty Fiona Schwagg
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Tue May 01, 2012 1:52 pm

We bike with our dogs. Are you looking to do it so the dogs are out front of the bike or running along side? If out front I agree with Sara about the sledding harness. If on the side I would use a walking or roading harness so the dog stays closer to the bike. It is a lot of fun!
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlandsue on Wed May 02, 2012 8:54 am

It would be out front, we use a bike trail that is paved, smooth and flat. I just dont want to cause any injuries to her shoulders from pulling and having wrong pressure points. I was thinking the sledding X back harness as well. This has been a great help, thanks
Sugarlandsue

Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 am

Anyone know the stats for completing the A.O.E. & the C.I.B. while bikejoreing?
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Wed May 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Sugarlandsue wrote:It would be out front, we use a bike trail that is paved, smooth and flat. I just dont want to cause any injuries to her shoulders from pulling and having wrong pressure points. I was thinking the sledding X back harness as well. This has been a great help, thanks

Yes I agree the x-back is what you would want to use. Here is a picture of my two boys ready to hit the road with our rig that we got from Kel who we know through the UAD jumping Ultimate Air Elation Both boys have custom made harnesses that have their names even on them so I don't get confused on who's harness is who's. They LOVE THIS!

And then for the fun of it a little video of them running together. They are just starting to get the hang of running together as we started with the walky dog next to the bike.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif4

When I run them together on the rig they go about 3 miles total. When they are on the bike next to me we do 3-5 miles each. The bike is a bit easier saying I am peddling and they don't have to pull me they just get to run. Thus the reason for the difference in distance at this point.

Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlandsue on Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Cool video!! I did a 10sec. video also. When she is out front I do pedal some to she isn't always pulling I just try to keep her at a nice pace usually trotting, althought we did come across a woodchuck who decided to run down the path in front of us!! Good thing I had good brakes to hold her back! I saw where I can order a custom X back harness where it is made to fit your dogs measurements and I am thinking this is the way to go. It is amazing how these dogs love to run, and i love to spend time with her doing it as well. Your dogs are doing great togther as a team running!
Sugarlandsue

Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm

I was thinking someone might inquire about what A.O.E. & C.I.B. stand for. Stands for something I would do if I tried bikejoring. A.O.E. = going asshole over elbow, C.I.B. = crash in burn - the more easily obtainable for me. Golly Gee!

It does look like fun though!!
Intellabs

Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm

It sure is a lot of fun to do. Now I took Rumor out with Cody the other night. THAT was entertaining. Rumor kept looking at me like what you want me to run in front of you? She is so use to running next to me on the walky dog and then also doing a lot of obedience work for our Rally titles she just was not so sure about this running in front of me thing. It was a little frustrating but once they got going it was good. Except she kept trying to bite at Cody's ears flapping in the wind. Silly girl! I do have to say I feel much safer doing the bike with the walky dog than the rig due to having more control but we will get there.
Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlandsue on Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Roger, I had to laugh at your post!!
Beth,
While I was out biking with Sue this morning a man riding by said: I hope you know what you are doing is very dangerous. And gave me an eye roll ( I just know he did). Any how being raised to not sass back I said nothing. But it got me to thinking as we were heading back to the truck. How dare he say that to me. I take all precautionary measures to make sure my dog and me are safe.
1. Go in the morning before it's to hot. 2. Make sure her nails are trimmed as to not cause foot injury. 3. Start off walking to warm up her muscles then trott. 4. Give her plenty of chances to drink water from the SPECAIL bow I bought for this puropse! 5. Watch for signs of overheating or getting to tired. I waited to start running her to make sure he stamina was built up first. Start slow then increase the distance as she is ready. 6. When returning let her walk for a while to cool down before stopping. 7. After offering her a drink when returning, I turn on the A./C in the truck so she gets cooled down while I load up. When we get home I check her feet (pads) for any injury and give her muscles a message just to make her feel good!! While on the path I be sure to clean up after her is she has to "go" and be curtious to other people using it and pull over or make sure she moves out of the way. This guy really rubbed me the wrong way. My line I use is 9ft. long, not to long but safe for us, that I can reel her in when we approach someone. And she gets daily exercise whether is it Chuck It ball, swimming or running! SO.... are there any other safety precaustions you use I may not be thinking of????

Happy Trails!
Vickie & "Sue"
Sugarlandsue

Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Thu May 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Vickie,
Glad you got a laugh out of it!! rofl
Intellabs

Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by teamsmoke on Thu May 10, 2012 9:20 pm

I don't know what that guys problem was but I've seen where trainers actually use quad runners to run their dogs. and not at a trot speed either. Hound hunters regularly use their vehicles to walk their dogs for miles to build up endurance. Hounds usually are on basically a marathon when chasing bears or even coyotes. Somebody always has to say something. More dangerous to leave the dog sitting around.

teamsmoke

My Name : Dan
My Pet(s) : Smokey pb- 23'10" Izzo-still learning
Number of posts : 64
Scorpio Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top