ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Speed Retrieve

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Speed Retrieve

Post by GoldenBrown on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 am

Hey Milt any chance that you guys add speed retrieve to the game list? I am really interested in seeing what Marley can do and I would rather stick with UAD than have to go to a dock dogs event.

Also I like the payout events as long as the entry fee is around $30 or less just some food for thought. Maybe something like $15 goes to UAD and the other $15 goes to a prize pool. If you make the finals and place top 3 you get a small payout. I am pretty sure no one will argue leaving a UAD event with a little bit of gas money.

Thanks Milt appreciate all the hard work you do.

Ben & Emily DeJonge
Marley & DJ
GoldenBrown

My Name : Ben & Emily DeJonge
My Pet(s) : Marley and DJ
Number of posts : 103
Aries Tiger

http://store-a7c17.mybigcommerce.com/

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Speed Retrieve

Post by Phoenix on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:40 am

I am not Milt so of course can't answer for him. But UAD isn't able to do cash pay outs due to them being a UKC organization if I understand it correctly. No event that is UKC sanctioned can have money pay out.

Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:03 pm

True Beth. We tried having payouts but people change when there's money involved. Who has cash payout's?
Milt

My Name : Milt
My Pet(s) : Sparky(RIP), Maximus, Nash, Flash & Allie
Number of posts : 1057
Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:45 pm

I have no clue who has "cash" payouts but I enjoy serious competition and the payouts just makes things more interesting. Also if the payouts are small how can people get that annoying... if it was 100's or 1,000's of dollars ok that's one thing. I guess it doesn't matter... it would be fun to win something more than a ribbon and a certificate is all I am saying. Heck maybe a t-shirt to 1st place of each division with the name of the event and the UAD logo.

I am very competitive but I am not trying to turn UAD into a cut throat free for all to win the big CASH PRIZES.
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 pm

We have cut jump prices to keep more people jumping. The other organizations are charging from $20-30 dollars per splash just to jump. They don't have cash payout's. I can charge more money and give out prizes but since we are doing all of our events as UKC sanctioned we can't even do that!! We are going to have nice trophies at the Ultimate Air Games again this year!!
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Sounds good to me.
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by remington15 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 pm

We have to agree with Milt. No matter the amount....I think money changes people. I joined the UAD family because I enjoy the people, the sport and it just down right fun!! The pooches love doing this....not the money.
remington15
BARK-A-BOUT AIR DOGS MEMBER

My Name : Victor & Susanne Sparano
My Pet(s) : Remington-CLR, Cooper-CLR,Jake-BLR(we miss you vey much, my love)
Number of posts : 150
Libra Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:08 am

Money no money... all I am saying is for competing and paying money it would be fun to walk away with something more than a ribbon and a certificate. I for one am willing to pay more per splash for this. I know not everyone is and that's fine. I am just voicing my singular opinion. I mean there are a million different ideas that are inexpensive for 1st 2nd and 3rd place to win.

1. box of dog treat
2. throw toy
3. event t-shirt
4. (not sure if possible) gift card to petco
5. maybe some type of nice metal food bowl to the event winner

Perhaps I am the only person who jumps there dog that cares about this sort of thing. If so it's all good. I am just throwing some ideas out there and if any stick cool. I spend a lot of time working with Marley and it would be cool to walk away from an event with something that would be memorable from placing. Even if it happens to be a box of treats he ends up eating in a weeks time.
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:26 am

Money is always nice, but I think that would could create some problems. I would be willing to donate prize money to uad for the purpose of prizes. I do enjoy having something with the event name/division & 1st, 2nd & 3rd place on the prize. It's nice to have something to remember how your jumper had a big day.

I recently noticed that the top 3 don't get the event specific document certificate. I liked this cause I kept mine in a notebook, the ribbons only say first place, 2nd or 3rd place and not the event where you were awarded the ribbon. Just more food for thought, I would be happy to help with this if there is an interest. Anyone else have ideas or thoughts on this, please post them.
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:33 am

We give out certificates to everyone that jumps. On those certificates are places that you can add you dogs jump scores and you can write in where you finished in the finals. Our secs. have lots to do at events and barely have enough time to get it all done. Adding more things for them to do wouldn't work out. If you guys want to pay for the finals then I can get bigger ribbons with info about event on them? We have cut jump prices down to $10 per splash if you jump 3 or more splashes per event but if the majority of you want bigger ribbons for the finals then we can make changes in jump prices to reflect that!
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks Milt for all that you do!! I appreciate the $10.00 per splash rate!! it really is great!! I would be willing to pay for finals or a change in jump prices. I may be the only one though. Either way, know that I appreciate all that you do.
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:26 am

You know, I always think prizes are nice, but I'd MUCH rather pay a cheaper price to jump more often. We are a multi-dog family and the costs add up quick so any savings we can get we are happy campers!
Rajah

My Name : Rajah's dad
My Pet(s) : Rajah (APBT), Cody, Phoenix, Tucson, & Rumor (GSPs)
Number of posts : 512
Aries Snake

http://www.flyinghighk9s.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:45 pm

As with most things in life it will be impossible to make everyone happy. The way you have it now Milt is just fine... I am just being picky. I think having a prize for 1st 2nd and 3rd would be nice but obviously if it doesn't work out that's fine. Thanks for the input everyone. If anyone else has anything to add please post.
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LoriL on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:57 pm

I like the lower prices vs prizes or special ribbons. I usually do not keep up with that stuff anyway

LoriL

My Name : Lori
Number of posts : 387
Aries Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Team Maddy on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:36 pm

popcorn
Team Maddy

My Pet(s) : Maddy
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:52 pm

I appreciate all the feed back!
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:28 am

lol at Team Maddy
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlandsue on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm

running dog I like the lower prices, just keep track of the jumps and add them to your own certificate for records, have family or friends take pic's for you. Last time I went we didn't get a cert. so it was nice to get that this time. This is about working/playing with your dog and enjoying it. paw
Sugarlandsue

My Name : Vickie Raburn
My Pet(s) : Sue
Number of posts : 77
Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 pm

Where did you go that you didn't get a certificate?
Milt

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:55 pm

I haven't gotten certificates at a couple different times. No big deal. We didn't get a certificate today at the Peach Fest (maybe our fault we left after the last splash b/c we didn't make finals.) and we didn't get one at the Ultimate Sports Show in March for Marley. And I don't see one in Marley's folder for the Cherry Festival this year. It's all good. People keep saying it's all about the dog... I understand and agree... nothing wrong with winning a prize FOR the dog...

For example:

Dog collar
Dog Leash
Dog food bowl
Dog Treats

Many other prizes that can be given to 1st 2nd and 3rd that are for our canine companions. I don't understand everyones hatred for winning a prize for WINNING. I don't think the splash prices will need to increase a lot for these types of prizes.
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:05 am

Golden Brown (Looks like Ben or Emily) :0) There is a fine line now that UAD is a UKC sanctioned club as to what they can and can not give for prizes. UKC does not allow ANY professional handling in their sports. Meaning that you can't be compensated in any way for helping train another dog, help handle another dog etc. This is an area of big debate in the show side of things with UKC because how far does that go? Technically speaking if I helped a friend hold their dog on the dock and in turn they bought me a cola at an event that would be considered compensation in the eye of UKC and I would be considered a pro handler. If I am considered a pro handler I can no longer help other peoples dogs on the dock etc. I can only handle my own or dogs I co-own.

I have NO IDEA if this is part of the reason there isn't "fun prizes" for events just so that there isn't that muddied grey area that could be debated. Or if it is due to the fact that a few years ago when there WAS some fun prizes at some events it was getting WAY too competitive.

After being with UAD and jumping with them for 6 years now I have to say this year has been for the most part the LEAST competitive as far as people competing for "bragging" rights so to speak than any other year. And it is quite refreshing.

Also those times where there were "little" prizes it was those of us who had sponsors who donated items to give out as prizes and not UAD who supplied them from my understanding.

I am just trying to add a different perspective on things. And I am only speculating on what MIGHT go into the decision of prizes.

I agree I want the lower jump prices over a prize. Ultimate Air Elation
Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 am

Beth small correction....professional handling applies to conformation. I don't know anyone that really does professional handling for performance events, but you DEFINITELY see it in hunting. I saw a TON of pros this weekend at the HRC event. That rule really only applies to conformation to keep it fun, get families involved, and to keep the judging on the dog, not what's on the other end of leash : )

SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I RBIMBS
Kiss My Axel
Zesty Fiona Schwagg
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by stephgotlabs on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 pm

I appreciate the lower jump prices. But Milt, I jumped last weekend at the St. Clair County Fair and signed up for 7 splashes thinking it would only cost me $10 per splash and when I questioned the price was told it was $15 per splash. So is the $10 per splash for 3 or more applicable to every event? Also, I know I have ready about the splash dollars, how does that work? Sorry if I am getting off topic but it seems relevant to the discussion about cost.
stephgotlabs

My Name : Steph
My Pet(s) : Fenway, Wrigley, Domino
Number of posts : 8
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Sara wrote:Beth small correction....professional handling applies to conformation. I don't know anyone that really does professional handling for performance events, but you DEFINITELY see it in hunting. I saw a TON of pros this weekend at the HRC event. That rule really only applies to conformation to keep it fun, get families involved, and to keep the judging on the dog, not what's on the other end of leash : )

Thank you for the clarification Sara. About a year ago on a message board I was on the discussion of pro handling came up in dog events as well as conformation for UKC and someone said it was across the board! OOPS! LOL
Phoenix

Sagittarius Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenBrown on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

I guess that's my problem. I am a very competitive person. I don't mind fun and friendly competition in fact I like it... I just like to win and although that is not happening at the moment with my dog... when it does I want something that I can hold and be proud of my dog for winning.

Sorry Stephgotlabs I don't know anything about Splash Dollars hopefully someone else can help you out with that question.
GoldenBrown

Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next