ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

New competitor....question!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! New competitor....question!

Post by Liesje on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:25 am

I live in Grand Rapids and I am new to dock diving. I trained my GSD to jump off a dock a few summers ago but we only had access to a normal dock and lake once a year, and for a while he would not jump into a clear pool. I took him to a friend's pool yesterday and he went in just fine, even off the diving board. I've already entered him in five splashes at the UKC Premier. My friend told me that you enter the event but do not pay until you check in and are able to cancel your entry beforehand if there is a problem (for example I would be canceling my entry today if he refused to jump into the pool yesterday). My question is, what happens if you go to the event and your dog simply refuses to jump that day for whatever reason, do you still have to pay the $125? What I did was enter my dog for the last two splashes on Friday and then three splashes on Saturday and am hoping that he will go in the training pool on Friday morning and be OK. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Oh, he went to a previous Premier and already has experience swimming in the pool and playing with toys on the platform, he just wouldn't jump off that year. Yesterday at the clear pool I did not even show him the water, I just toss the Wubba and he went right in and was fine. I'm told it's common for dogs to be more wary of the clear pool, I'm just not sure how else I can proof this other than the morning of the event since all of our other dock access is lakes and rivers which have never been a problem.

Also if you have any general advice for a first time competitor I would appreciate it! So far the basics I know are that he can wear a flat collar, my friend can hold my dog on the platform, and I will be using the wet Kong Wubba for his toy. He does best when I shake it and then throw it as he gets released.

Liesje

My Name : LR
My Pet(s) : Nikon, Coke, Pan
Number of posts : 8
Virgo Rat

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: New competitor....question!

Post by Sara on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:10 pm

I believe normally that if you want to back out after the first splash, you can ask for a refund for the remainder of the weekend. However, if you tried both jumps in the splash you can't get your money back after that splash for that particular splash. Does that make sense?

SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I RBIMBS
Kiss My Axel
Zesty Fiona Schwagg
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesje on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Sure does, thanks! We're going to try but you never know when the dog will just be "off" plus we've never had an audience.
Liesje

Virgo Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Don't get discouraged--my oldest GSP has been doing this for almost 7 years and he stops on the dock sometimes....or he jumps 20 feet LOL Oops!

Kiss My Axel
Zesty Fiona Schwagg
Sara

Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesje on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:31 am

Dumb question...but where do we go before our first splash? Do we have to check in and pay at a certain time or day? Our first splash is the second one.
Liesje

Virgo Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Usually registration closes about 15 mins before the splash is scheduled to start. So, make sure you get to the registration table and get checked in. You can't get on the dock even to practice without first checking in and signing a waiver.

Kiss My Axel
Zesty Fiona Schwagg
Sara

Scorpio Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann DHondt on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Liesje!!!!
It's me "Maxs Mom" from dog.com. I will be there all weekend so if you need any help let me know. I think I might FINALLY get to meet you. LOL So many close times before. We are getting there on Thursday, and I have rally first thing in the AM Fri-Sat but I will be around. If you need any questions asked I will do my best!

Ann
Ann DHondt

My Name : Ann
My Pet(s) : Belle, Teddi, Quinn, Gabby and always in my heart Maxine
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesje on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks! I might need some guidance with the procedural stuff. I want to make sure we're entered correctly and I am where I am supposed to be! We are doing lure coursing as well but there's no set time, I can do those runs whenever I have a break from other stuff.
Liesje

Virgo Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top