ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Canine Fun Days experience

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Canine Fun Days experience

Post by Petcrazy213 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:52 am

Had a pretty nice time at Canine Fun Days with the Ohio Air Dogs club. The venue was really nice, large enough to accommodate everything going on but not to tire you out walking all over the place. There was a lot of stuff to do and see. The food was good, they had hamburgers, hot dogs, cheese stix and fries, Ice cream, pop, water, it was pretty yummy. Ohio Air Dogs also had ordered some food for anyone at the pool to pitch in and have lunch with them. There was plenty of set up space near the pool for ez-ups and crating as well. Unfortunately the weather was against us through the 2nd 1/2 of day one ... it literally POURED while we were trying to get in our Splash in the afternoon. We were soaking wet by the end of the day, you could ring yourself out and fill up an entire glass. Luckily it wasn't cold out. Sunday was better but we did have a few quick downpours where everyone headed for their tents to wait out the passing clouds. We didn't get nearly as wet as we did SAT. Sweet!

We got to try out the Lure Coursing SAT, the dogs we ran had a good run and I think it made their day to get out in that open field and just FLY! We missed out on the pet tricks and costume contest we wanted to see due to Splash conflicts and schedules not running on time but it wasn't a big deal.

The kids did an AWESOME job handling their dogs at this event and it was great to see them having so much fun, especially in the Jr. Handler specialty where they got to compete with each other! They have so much fun with that one.
** Kyle and Renegade took FIRST place in the Junior division and a SECOND place in both the Featherweight and Jr. Handler specialties.
** Ryan and Vader took a FIRST place in the Novice division and THIRD place in Jr. Handler and I believe a 4th in Featherweight for specialties.
** Me and Grace jumped Tank to a SECOND place in the Novice division and a THIRD place in the Featherweight specialty. Grace got a 4th in the Jr. Handler specialty I believe and had an absolute blast competing with and against her brothers.

The ribbons were great, nice pretty rosettes ... the division rosettes also had the host club name and event on them.

I have a bunch of pictures but will have to work on getting those up when it's not so late. All in all this was a nice event, just wish the weather had cooperated a bit more and not soaked us all the first day.
Petcrazy213
BARK-A-BOUT AIR DOGS MEMBER

My Name : Jenny
My Pet(s) : 5 PJRT (as well as a couple cats, a bunny, and many fish)
Number of posts : 219
Aquarius Dragon

http://www.topsyturvyterriers.com

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Canine Fun Days experience

Post by MaraLee on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:56 am

I agree wholeheartedly, Jenny! Canine Fun Days was a huge hit!

First, the new Ohio Air Dog club members are a fabulous group of people who are going to fit right into the UAD family. My family and I had so much fun getting to know them all. Making new friends was by far the best part of the event for us!

The setting for the event was so beautiful that it looked like a place that one could only imagine or see on a movie set. We were nestled in a lush green valley, with a creek running around it, surrounded by hills so tall that they looked like mountains. Seriously, next to Cherry Fest, this is now my top favorite event for scenery. I just wish that I had had time to take some pictures. (I never touched either of the two cameras we brought.)

Also, I must thank our kind hostesss, Marie Goodwin, for putting on such a lovely event. She went far above and beyond with too many special touches for me to mention them all here. There were A-W-S-O-M-E gift bags for each family. (Waffles still hasn't put down her new crunchy toy. It doesn't squeak, but makes noise as if there is a plastic bottle inside.) The luncheon was delicious food from an authentic Cleveland deli. When there was so much leftover, we were able to feed another whole group of people for donations to lower the price the rest of us paid!

Even the rain was fun... Marie bought a sheet cake to celebrate Ohio Air Dogs kick off event. Then, we had a blast taking a dockside photo of all of the competitors with the cake... in the rain! Snickering Holding an umbrella over my husband, Bill, while he was judging was a lot of fun, too. One time, in the middle of the Finals, when everyone, and I mean Everyone, ran for cover, Bill and I stood together beside the pool, under an umbrella, waiting out the rain.

Oh, the ribbons were lovely, too. See, there were so many things that I'm afraid I will forget something.

I'm looking forward to more UAD Club events. I foresee that one of the biggest advantages to having our clubs put on events will be special touches like these, that we just don't have time to do at our UAD national events.

Our only complaint was that it was only two days long!

All in all, it was just a great time with great folks... and dogs!

MaraLee

Webmistress

My Name : MaraLee
My Pet(s) : Lucy and Waffles, the Labs... Gus and Rufus, the Guinea Pigs
Sponsors : Bill and Lynnie!
Number of posts : 801
Gemini Snake

http://www.ultimateairdogs.net

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Thanks!

Post by LoveMyLab! on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Our club really enjoyed having our friends from up North come down and jump with us. MaraLee and her family were a huge help. The whole Butler family helped all our new dogs jump. Courtney was great too!

The very best part of the event were the smiles on the faces of all our new members that had never competed in any type of canine sport before. I have to tell you, they are hooked! It didn't matter if the jumps were 2 feet or 20 feet..the dogs jumped and everyone was thrilled no matter how far the jump was.. That's what it really all about isn't it?

The beauty of club events is that we can do extra things to make the event better...mostly because we will only have a half dozen events a year. Every club member donated either a bottle of laundry detergent or a blanket for the rescued greyhounds while they are kenneled. The rescue washes each dogs blanket daily. This greyhound rescue has rescued over 2,000 greyhounds! The way I see it grey's are sporting dogs like ours and they deserve our help once they retire. Isn't that what we would do for our dogs that served us so well competing?

I have been to this event and even competed when another dock diving venue had the event. Part of the 'deal' to get the event is to let new dogs try to jump and they pay the Greyhound rescue to try, "Let's Try Air Dogs". In past years 'the other dock diving venue' put the dogs on the dock and tried to get them to jump. If they did that was it. If not, money lost. Thanks to the Butlers, Courtney and our club members we first took the dogs up the exit ramp into the pool, let them swim with the person IN the pool for a bit and then took them to the dock and let them jump. And we gave them 2 consecutive jumps, not one. I am so proud of everyone that we took the time to do what was best for the dogs and optimize the chances of them jumping. And you know what? Almost every dog jumped and many that did joined our club.

We learned from the event. Some things we will keep the same and a some things we will improve on. And we can. The Greyhound rescue told us the event was ours next year. They said the feedback they received was 100% positive! So if you missed it this year, you have a chance next year. Third weekend of August, put it on your calender.

These are the pics the photographer took. They will be on Flicker in a day or two for free. I spoke to them tonight :-) Most of the finals are on the last page. They are also putting together a 45 minute DVD of the event and are going to sell it for 20 bucks and that includes shipping.

http://www.k9cameralens.exposuremanager.com/g/canine_fun_days_10

Last edited by LoveMyLab! on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:41 am; edited 2 times in total
LoveMyLab!

My Name : Marie
My Pet(s) : Jack
Number of posts : 133
Leo Horse

http://ohiodockdivingairdogs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Petcrazy213 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:02 pm

I'd like to add a THANK YOU to Aimee and Sara as well since they came all the way down from CANADA to help set up the pool and help the people that were "Trying" out their dogs. They put a lot of effort in this past weekend! Nice to see you guys again!
Petcrazy213

My Name : Jenny
My Pet(s) : 5 PJRT (as well as a couple cats, a bunny, and many fish)
Number of posts : 219
Aquarius Dragon

http://www.topsyturvyterriers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveMyLab! on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 am

Knew I would miss people. Thanks EVERYONE that helped.
LoveMyLab!

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveMyLab! on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:58 am

Video:

http://vimeo.com/14445306
LoveMyLab!

Leo Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by bugz on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:45 am

Love the video!! Sounds like an awesome event.
bugz

My Name : Kim
My Pet(s) : Bugz(APBT-mix) Hunk(APBT) Abby(BLR) Cali(YLR)
Number of posts : 99
Cancer Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by swalius on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:30 pm

I have to make it a point to thank Bill and Maralee's girls for helping me out a canine fun days they were awesome. We all had a rough start but I have to say I think I have made some really gained some really dear friends. Again girls Thank You so much !!
swalius

My Name : Susan Swalius
My Pet(s) : Team NEW LIFE WEIM'S Sir Winston and Little Randy
Number of posts : 7
Virgo Snake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top