ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

trianing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! trianing

Post by Mark on Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 am

I'm preparing my yellow lab for her first jump at dominion riverrock in richmond May 14-15. We are super excited and have been doing a lot of practicing! We have been trying to judge with the naked eye and I think we got around 11ft last night. Do you have any tips to extend the length of jump or what I need to do as a first timer. Thanks!

Mark

Number of posts : 3
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: trianing

Post by Intellabs on Thu May 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Generally, it's helpful to:

*Use the entire length of the dock

*Are you using the "chase" or the "place & send" method to toss the toy? For the chase, make sure you throw it far enough so it will be ahead of the dog when he or she enters the water and at a good elevation as some dogs will follow the path of the toy when it's in the air.

*Get your dog super excited and give alot of praise after your dog gets out of the water.

*Use thier favorite toy, I don't use a toy that they play with on a daily basis. I use a wubba and the only time my dogs see it is at a competition that way they are excited because it's something new or something they have played with in a long time.

*If you have any more question don't hesitate to ask and I hope some of this will help you. Have fun!!
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark on Fri May 07, 2010 10:01 pm

thanks for the insight. we are using the chase method. Seems like shes flat sometimes. Her favorite toy is the colored tennis ball which we use with her everyday. Her toy drive is unbelievable. At the competition will there be someone experienced there to give us direction?

Mark

Number of posts : 3
Aries Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 am

Sorry Milt, I did not realize this question was in your forum till just now, my bad!!

There will be tons of experienced people there that will be glad to help you.

My yellow lab, Oberon, has great toy drive and dock speed. The best I have ever seen. The problem is he jumps flat also. If he could get elevation I know he would be jumping super big.
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Number of posts : 709
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Sat May 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes There will be many people to help.
Milt

My Name : Milt
My Pet(s) : Sparky(RIP), Maximus, Nash, Flash & Allie
Number of posts : 1057
Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! traning for fetch it

Post by mokha on Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 am

What is the best toy to use for fetch it. We are going to try it, right now we use a small jolly ball from Cabellas. Could some one recommend what we should try and where to get it.

Thank you for all the help everyone has been

The Rule family
mokha

My Name : karen rule
My Pet(s) : fred, sam, & penny
Number of posts : 10
Aquarius Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingbcs on Tue May 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Sorry Milt I just relized this was under your section...didn't mean to speak for you.

Welcome Rule family,

For "Fetch It" the toy is supplied. It is a lightweight white foam rubber bumper that is suspended over the water at a constant height. I believe Milt gets them from Katie's bumpers.

"Catch It" is a game where your dog must catch your toy before it touches the water. Many people, including myself, use a water wubba. It has lots of appendages to grab hold of vs say a tennis ball with less area to grab. Any toy your dog can catch easily and that you can throw accurately will work tho.

For "Distance" jumping: The toy would probably depend on the method of jumping you are doing. If you are using a jolly ball, those are almost impossible for your dog to catch in the air. Those are most often used with the "place and send" method (you throw the toy and then release the dog). Jolly balls sit high in the water and come in bright collors that are easy for your dog to spot. For the "Chase" method (where you release the toy as your dog leaves the dock and follows the toy), again a water wubbba or Dokken water fowl decoy works great for this method.

I hope this helps...have fun!!
flyingbcs

My Pet(s) : Lansing
Number of posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum