ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

UKC Premier is MOVING ...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! UKC Premier is MOVING ...

Post by Petcrazy213 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Just saw this on the UKC forum ...

"UKC ANNOUNCES AN EXCITING NEW VENUE FOR 2010 PREMIER!
For more information, contact Tanya Raab at traab@ukcdogs.com[/email]
Mark Threlfall at mthrelfall@ukcdogs.com
Or Michelle Morgan at [email]mmorgan@ukcdogs.com

November 9, 2009 – The United Kennel Club is pleased to announce that
the 2010 PREMIER is moving to the Wayne County Fairgrounds & Expo
Center in Richmond, Indiana. The new dates for PREMIER 2010 will be
July 8 through 11, 2010.

The United Kennel Club PREMIER has become the “must go to” event for
thousands of dog fanciers from across the United States and several
foreign countries. The Richmond venue is a tried and true location,
having served for almost twenty years as the site of Autumn Oaks, the
nation’s largest annual Coonhound event.

The Wayne County Fairgrounds & Expo Center features many
dog-friendly amenities, including twice the usable outdoor space, and
more spacious indoor air-conditioned space, than the former Kalamazoo
site. It features over 100 acres to accommodate a variety of dog
events. Campers will enjoy 1,200 RV spots, the majority of which have
30 amp electrical service.

A convenient central location in east central Indiana, Richmond is just
west of the Ohio/Indiana border. It is 40 miles west of Dayton, Ohio,
and 100 miles east of Indianapolis, and is adjacent to a major
interstate, I-70. Numerous hotels and a variety of restaurants are
located in Richmond and surrounding towns.

The official 2010 PREMIER Premium List is scheduled to be available
March 1, 2010. It will be included in the April 2010 issue of
BLOODLINES magazine and as well as on the UKC website.

“As much as we enjoyed our years at the Kalamazoo location, the size
and scope of PREMIER prompted us to search for a larger more centrally
located site to accommodate its tremendous growth. It was a long and
exhaustive search and we are thrilled with the results,” said UKC
President Wayne Cavanaugh.

Additional details and plans will be posted on the UKC website, and on
a special PREMIER 2010 Facebook© page, as they are finalized. For more
details go to the UKC home page and follow the links."

Now I have to wonder what our summer will be like since we juggle Premier, UAD, Flyball, and vacations. Will this impact UAD being at Premier?
Petcrazy213
BARK-A-BOUT AIR DOGS MEMBER

My Name : Jenny
My Pet(s) : 5 PJRT (as well as a couple cats, a bunny, and many fish)
Number of posts : 219
Aquarius Dragon

http://www.topsyturvyterriers.com

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: UKC Premier is MOVING ...

Post by Team Maddy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Those are the same dates as Traverse City Cherry Festival.
Team Maddy

My Pet(s) : Maddy
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:06 pm

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Oh well, I guess if I have to miss Premier for Cherry Festival I will survive. Nothing beats sitting on the Grand Traverse Bay.(Except when the wind is blowing 40 miles an hour.

And those are typically the dates UAD is at Cherry Festival.(July 3-10 2010) However, it is possible UAD will be at both event.

SKY
(SHR GUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel)
PB - Long Dock 24' 11"
PB - Short Dock 20'04"
PB - Catch it 42'5"
PB - Vertical 5' 4"
PB - Fetch-It 17'
2011 Catch-it National Champion
19 Career UAD Ultimate Victories

Star
(Sauk Rivers Shooting Star)
PB - Long dock 23'05"
PB - Fetch-it 21'
PB - UV 5'6"
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Bah... I guess that means we have to cancel the hotel room we already reserved and reserve a room at the new location now!
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Guys I know it stinks this is the same weekend as Cherry Fest, but this is a MUCH nicer and larger facility and better camping. Premier has grown too much for the local fairgrounds and I think this is a good move. This is where Autumn Oaks is held every year, very successfully. It's more centrally located as well.

SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I RBIMBS
Kiss My Axel
Zesty Fiona Schwagg
Sara

My Name : Sara
My Pet(s) : Oskar, Carly, Fiona
Number of posts : 791
Scorpio Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/oskarboogerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:56 pm

It has taken me all day to wrap my heart around going to Premier at a different location. We will be there that is for sure! Unless we are told that UAD won't be. Then we may have to re-think things.
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Sorry to hear this news, I guess I thought Premier would always be in Kalamazoo. I too, will choose the Cherry Festival over Premier.

I regret very much that this had to happen!! I enjoyed very much the 2 years I had been at Premier.
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow...I think this ruins my life. I'm not going to lie. Premier is my FAVORITE dog event across the board, even taking into account most of my races, hands down. I realize (and truly hope beyond belief) that it will still be the SAME event, simply at a different venue. However, it still KILLS me that it's not in its OWN backyard anymore. I understand the reasons for the move, but honestly don't know if I'll be able to attend at all. Premier was always a given in my summer schedule. I'd choose it over Cherry Fest easily. I hope it does prove to be an excellent move for the event and maybe I'm just being sentimental and selfish. Perhaps if I didn't live in Kalamazoo, I wouldn't care as much. I don't know, it was just nice to know that good 'ole Kzoo held one of the biggest events in the dog world. Every dog magazine covers Premier and I liked the whole "I was there" aspect. Man, that's some tough news.
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DogsUnlimited on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:27 am

Wow - that really is a tough call - those two events are definitely both favorites!!
DogsUnlimited

My Pet(s) : Cajun, Champ, Bear, Hunter & Riot
Number of posts : 273
Sagittarius Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:50 am

Premier was always my favorite, before the announcement of the move. Cherry Festival was 2nd and now I guess that I will have to move it to number one. Not just because it was in Kalamazoo where I am from. There is always so much to do and see. I was considering getting Oberon into weight pull this year too. I guess I will have to rethink that. The other 2 events in Kalamazoo are nice but they cannot compete with Premier.

We will miss Premier!! Locally I now will look forward to the Humane Society Event and Woofstock.
Intellabs

Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Petcrazy213 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:38 am

We may have issues with Premier now because we liked being able to do several events at the show. With a much larger area this could end up problematic if the events we're in are going to be spaced far apart. Last year we were in Terrier Racing and Dock Diving and there were several times where I was physically RUNNING from 1 event to the other so the dogs could compete. And that was with both events less then a football field length away from each other. I was thankful the racing wasn't in the back by the track last year or I don't think we would have made a couple of our events. Hopefully it won't be a big deal at the new location but we'll see.

Also, I am waiting to hear which events will be and won't be at Premier with this location AND date change. I know there is a lot of talk going on over there on the forums right now about the good and bad ... and many people having problems already with the date changes. I personally don't have any big issues with the date change except that it's probably going to be much hotter. Oh so Sad (not ideal for racing)

Fingers crossed everything pans out and this ends up being a good thing and everyone can get there like before. I hate to think that we won't make Premier ... we've been to every Premier in the past 7 years (except the one where I had a litter of 2 week old pups), it's one of our FAVORITE events and the one we look forward to every summer.
Petcrazy213
BARK-A-BOUT AIR DOGS MEMBER

My Name : Jenny
My Pet(s) : 5 PJRT (as well as a couple cats, a bunny, and many fish)
Number of posts : 219
Aquarius Dragon

http://www.topsyturvyterriers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kfrost on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:42 pm

It is really disappointing that Cherry Festival and Premiere would be held the same week - I'm ok with the new location and the travel involved, but was this the only date they could arrange?? This is soooooooo disappointing!
Kfrost

My Name : Kathy
My Pet(s) : Lily
Number of posts : 114
Gemini Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:04 pm

I checked Richmond Indiana is a 4 hour drive from Kalamazoo, this year it was just 10 minutes down the road. Here is a mapquest link to where the 2010 Premier will be.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-Ce2RDHxKk1IrKPWa_QED
Intellabs

Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Dave that was the FIRST thing I checked, too! I was sitting in the living room and I yelled to my mom to grab an Atlas. Snickering
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pbear79 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:33 pm

If you want to go you better book your room now to hold it at least. I know knights inn and motel 6 are already full. I can't wait. No matter the location change, the date change is awesome! My Panda babies will be 6 months old for Premier!!! Hopefully there will be new members to Team "When Pits Fly". Can't wait!
pbear79

My Name : Jen
My Pet(s) : Panda, Buehrle and Journey
Number of posts : 80
Pisces Goat

http://www.freewebs.com/ton80pits

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:32 pm

We are still going.. Sarah is handling Woody all weekend and hopfully will be in the top 10.. I am actually glad it's a little later.. No missing school.. Just not happy about the 10 hour drive.
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:10 pm

I took this photo of Oberon when I told him about Premier leaving Michigan.

Intellabs

Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:34 pm

I havent been to the cherry festival but arent both big events. Premier was huge. Is Milt going to do both on one weekend?
AmphibiousAssaultDogTeam

My Name : Norman Candi and Dakota Brown
My Pet(s) : Kota's Delight Kady Bark Kent Chaos
Number of posts : 206
Libra Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:43 pm

Maybe Jake will start jumping again. Richmond is only about 2.5 hours for us. Much closer than Kzoo (or anything in MI) although I did like it there when Jake was competing.

Gunther (GSP) PB 0'0"

www.nylabone.com
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by stephz on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:45 pm

I wish I was upset about an event being 4-4.5 hours away!!! Most of them are a min. of 5 hours away for us.

I'm sure Milt and Brian are trying to find a way to make both events work for everyone and will let everyone know once they know anything.
stephz

My Name : Steph
My Pet(s) : Jinx
Number of posts : 679
Taurus Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann DHondt on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:38 am

I am not happy about the move. Is it really bigger? The picture on the UKC site (aerial) does not look so to me. The one parking lot they show looks half the size of one of the two at K-zoo.

For me the dates being right after the fourth of July, are not good. We go up to Art's parents and the dogs have a hey day! That is why we usually miss Cherry Fest because it is RIGHT after we have been up there and don't want to drive back up. I can't take more time off work to allow to drive to IN and then show for 4-5 days. Belle (last I looked) was still in the top 50 for AGI and AGII so she would be able to compete in the top 50 classes this year. I try very hard to not travel too much, that is what makes these sports so expensive. I try to stay in drive back and forth range. We did hotel it for K-zoo, but we could still show up the first day from home, and leave for home right after we were done the last day.

The agility venue at K-zoo was not the best, the flooring was hard. It had no slip mats down, but no real cushioning. I won't drive 4+ hours for that.

The dock jumping I am sure will be worked out. Milt has multiple pools so he can be in two places at once. However I doubt they would have the second pool anymore. Of course they may not need it. I don't know, it will be interesting.

I would be "less" upset IF the Premier were starting to move around the country to accommodate all parts of the country like other national events do. However to just move it away to me is VERY disappointing after all UKC was founded in Michigan.

Ann
Ann DHondt

My Name : Ann
My Pet(s) : Belle, Teddi, Quinn, Gabby and always in my heart Maxine
Number of posts : 301
Cancer Rat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 am

While I would prefer it remain in MI if given the choice, I understand the reason for the move. I'm not sure if it is indeed larger, and if parking room is more significant (along with camping space) or not. My main concerns, however, would be...

1. In years prior, we have tried to do as many sports as possible without creating too many conflicts. I have several times had to literally run from sport to sport with my dogs. Last year, I did a "handler withdraw" from FI because I was needed in another sport ring (Aro probably could have went further, but I had to run from sport to sport, still). I'd hate to have things even more spread out for those of us who really enjoy the "Total Dog" concept and try to be as big a part of it as possible.

2. Weight pull has, in the past, been very separated from everything else. I would love to have it in a more centralized location (near dockjumping would be best, so that dogs could possibly be cooled in the practice pool between pulls and then sponged off before going back into the chute). I would also like to see weight pull's holding area to not be a huge dirt pit, as it has in the past. Also, since Premier will now be later into summer, it is likely it will be warmer. For dockjumpers, this isn't an issue... but for weight pull, it could be. Most weight pull dogs are bully breeds with shorter muzzles, which subtracts from the cooling qualities a longer muzzle provides. If not a bully breed, many of the others have heavy coats, such as the Malamutes, etc. I would hope, as a result, that UKC will be mindful of this and station weight pull near either a hose hook up and/or provide a kiddy pool or two.
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Milt on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:30 am

I just wanted everyone to know we found out about the venue change and date the same time you guys did. We are disappointed about the conflict but will work with it the best we can. More to follow.
Milt

My Name : Milt
My Pet(s) : Sparky(RIP), Maximus, Nash, Flash & Allie
Number of posts : 1057
Aries Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Indy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:46 pm

I understand that the UKC is doing what they need to, but it's disappointing for me. I am for the most part restricted to local events, having one of the big four day events in my neck of the woods was a lot of fun (and actually made it possible to earn titles). I guess we're down to three smaller events per year now.

And from a sentimental point of view, it's too bad that the UKC Premier is moving out of Michigan.
Indy

My Name : Indy
My Pet(s) : Indy
Number of posts : 312
Virgo Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:17 am

Lindsey,

I did'nt think of it being harder to earn titles, that is definitly the case. It will be harder for us to earn titles. Losing a 4 day event in Kalamazoo is huge. The way things are looking, we may not be able to attend all of any 4 day events next year.

The Cherry festival will be more then likely the only 4 day event we do in 2010.
Intellabs

Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top