ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Pit or pit-mix fell out of truck yesterday & truck kept going...

Go down

Dont Miss! Pit or pit-mix fell out of truck yesterday & truck kept going...

Post by LostPepperDee on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm

I was leaving work yesterday evening and was behind a pickup truck who made a hard right turn off Main Street and out tumbles a dog! I of course, immediately stop -- worried the dog is going to be hit or run off before the owners can get to her. She had a blue leash around her neck, but no collar. I run up to her and take a hold of her leash and look around for the pickup, but it is no where in sight! I lift her up into my car and take off in the direction the truck went...thinking maybe I can get their attention and let them know their dog fell out. But I couldn't find them anywhere. I drove around for about 45 minutes, hoping to see them, but didn't. I then called Washington County Animal Shelter and left them a voicemail message (it was after 7pm and they were closed), letting them know what happened and that I had the dog, in case the owner came looking for her.

This morning, I called all the vets in Abingdon and many in Bristol, I called the newspaper and am going to have an ad run, I called the Washington County Animal Defense League, Holly Help, and everyone I could think of... So far, no one has called me about her.

I don't understand people. First of all, it should be a law that people can't let their dogs ride loose in the back of trucks (or even on long loose leashes where the dog can fall out and get hung or dragged). I don't understand how someone can risk their dog's life that way. Second of all, I don't understand how people can lose a dog and not look for them!

She seems to be a pit-mix, which at first kind of scared me, as my brother's pit bit me in the face a few years back, so they are the one breed that kind of makes my stomach tight. But she seems to be really sweet. She rode the whole way with her head in my lap. She has some road rash on her face and a lump on her nose, but fortunately, that seems to be the extent of her injuries. She stinks to high heaven, but other than that seems healthy...toenails appear to have been cut, she is not skinny -- very solid & surprisingly heavy when I picked her up. Her ears and tail are natural...not docked or anything. At home, she follows us around...almost to the point where I had a hard time getting pictures, because she wouldn't back up far enough for me to get good angles. She like the couch and acted at home in the house, but unfortunately, we don't have a place for her inside. We had an old un-used 10x10x4 chain link pen that Fred set up out front, where our other dogs can't see her. We had a big dog house that no one uses and set it in the pen. She eventually went into the dog house, but most of the time just laid there, looking at our front door and howled such a sad tune. Really broke my heart. This morning, I let 4 of my dogs out--one at a time, to meet her through the pen and she wagged her tail at each one. Other than her smell, she seems well taken care of and doesn't appear to have been abused. No marks around the neck, indicating being left on a chain. She doesn't sit or walk well on a leash (doesn't pull, just wanders and trips her and myself on the leash), but she wants to be hugged and petted. The one strange thing (to me) is that her legs are short--almost like a bulldog or basset hound...and her hind end is definitely taller than her front end. But she is cute.
LostPepperDee

My Name : Kristen
My Pet(s) : Jane, Rover, Pepper, Charlie (dogs) and Figaro & Angel (cats)
Location : I live in NE Tennessee, but grew up in Naples, Italy.
Number of posts : 85
Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Pit or pit-mix fell out of truck yesterday & truck kept going...

Post by LostPepperDee on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Anyone have any opinions on what she may be mixed with?

LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:23 pm

She is cute. Sweet! Hopefully you are able to find out what happened to her and either reunite her with her original owners (if they were a good home for her) or find her a new forever home where she can be loved and cared for.
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:36 pm

She looks like a staffie mix to me, and she is very cute. I hope there is a happy ending for her!!! ❤
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:37 pm

How dangerous do you think she is? I don't have a lot of experience with them, other than being bit in the face by my brother's pitbull several years back.

She wags her tail when she sees one of my dogs, but did wrinkle her nose, when she wanted the frisbee. If there is more than 2 dogs, she will put her tail between her legs.

So far, she won't take food from my hand...I have to put it down before she will eat it. I haven't felt her teeth...she is a licker.

What should I look for, as far as doing a temperment test on her?
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Labwake on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:51 pm

It might be a little late to chime in, but I wouldn't worry about her being dangerous; treat her like any other dog, and you'll be good to go.
Labwake

My Name : Annie
My Pet(s) : Connor, Elsie
Number of posts : 491
Leo Horse

http://sarcasmandsleddogs.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 am

I'll second Annie... treat her as if she were any other breed of dog. A dog's breed does not determine whether or not they are "dangerous" or aggressive... that will be the result of HUMAN work through bad breeding, training, socialization, etc. You can make a Miniature Poodle dangerous and aggressive given the wrong person and handling.

If she has been this sweet all along so far, chances are she will continue to be sweet and social so long as she is treated fairly. Sweet!
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 am

So far her only bad habit is jumping up on us. I took her to the vet on Saturday to make sure she didn't have a micro-chip (none) and she greeted everyone...man, woman and child. She wagged her tail at any dog she saw and even gave a kitten a lick (some woman stuck the kitten right in her face)! She walks real well off the leash...doesn't stray out of our sight and if we stop, she comes right back. I just don't understand why her family hasn't come looking for her yet.
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:08 am

The only time she acts scared is if she feels like she is being cornered. And for some reason she acts scared of my husband (dogs usually love him). She just tucks her tail and tries to keep away. She loves my daughter (who is 10). When she acts scared of my husband, I think it hurts his feelings and the more he tries to reassure her, the more scared she becomes. The only thing I can think of is he once got down on all 4's to play and that seemed to scare her...like she thought he was stalking her. Any suggestions?
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:23 am

My only suggestion would be TIME. Give her time to adjust and become acclimated to her new surroundings. She sounds like a wonderful girl! Have your husband just take it slow and ignore her at this point and let her figure him out. Baby steps may be what it takes for her to warm up to him.

She sure is beautiful!
Phoenix

My Name : Beth
My Pet(s) : Phoenix,Rajah,Cody, Tucson, Rumor
Number of posts : 1001
Sagittarius Dog

http://flyinghighk9s.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 am

I just feel bad that we can't keep her, but we already have too many dogs. If I can't find her family (and it is beginning to seem like we won't) I would love to find her a home with someone that likes having a dog tag along after them...because that is what she wants to do. She follows me everywhere. She is so lonely in the pen when we are at work.

I will get her spayed first. The Washington County Animal Defense League said they would spay her for free, where she is over 40 pounds.
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Yup, just give her time. Sweet! Have your husband let her come to him, rather than him going to her. Even having him keep a little bait bag on or some "cookies" in his pocket to give her when she does decide to approach is a good idea, to help further reinforce that he is a good guy and she doesn't need to be worried about him. Sweet!

She seems like a very sweet girl. My suggestion would be to perhaps take her to an event and let others get to know her. She may very well find a new family that way. Sweet! (of course, it would be a good idea to get her vaccinated first)
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by LostPepperDee on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 am

My husband went to take her for a walk yesterday, before I got home from work. He opened the gate and was going to put her collar & leash on, and she bolted. She has never run away from me or my daughter...I can walk anywhere with her not on a leash and she stays within 20 feet of me and keeps me in sight at all times. He said she immediately ran down the driveway. He knew not to chase her, so he got my daughter to go down the driveway and find her. Munchie came right to her and she put on the collar & leash and walked her back up to the house. They then let her hang out in the house, so she could see him moving around, but couldn't run. She stuck to my daughter's heels until I got home, then she went back & forth between us. She is just so scared of him, it is so sad. I hate thinking of anything being that scared! When it is time to find her a new home, it may end up having to be a strictly female home. Although, the few men she's run into in our travels, she seems fine with. I don't understand why she is so scared of Fred...most dogs love him.
LostPepperDee

Aquarius Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum