ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Question for Milt on rules of Catch It

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Question for Milt on rules of Catch It

Post by Chessies on the Dock on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:08 pm

I'm not sure if I understand the rules of Catch It. I do, but I don't, lol, so apologies in advance if this seems like a dumb question. I understand that our dogs have to catch the toy in the air to get the score. I'm seeing in a lot of pics, and observing at events, that a lot of handlers are almost handing the toy to the dog when they are just lifting off the dock, resulting in the dog having the toy in it's mouth already at 2-4ft. I always thought that the toy was supposed to actually be out over the water at a normal distance and then they had to catch it, which obviously is more difficult. So now I'm confused Judges
Chessies on the Dock

My Pet(s) : Meadow, Sage and the cats (Cadi and Bodie)
Number of posts : 760

http://ChessiesontheDock.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Question for Milt on rules of Catch It

Post by Kel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Milt had talked before about a possible new thing where the dogs would get pts based on how far out the catch was made... this was back at Van Wert of '07 (or maybe '08? I just remember it was Van Wert). I don't think distance out over the water matters for CI (at least, not as of now), as long as the toy is out of the handler's hand and in the air once the catch is made. Of course, I could be wrong... Milt will have to answer that. Sweet! If not, then, a "normal distance" would have to be defined. I just wanted to note the possible addition or new game or w/e that was brainstormed over at Van Wert awhile back.

A lot of dogs don't do well with a close range throw. So, I think the difficulty isn't necessarily always less with a more delayed release. Timing and placement still has to be very precise. I know when Milt and I were playing aorund with CI with Aro, he did not do well at all with a delayed release. But, if the toy was a decent ways out already as he launched, he got it every time. I know a few others who are the same way, some who are the opposite, and some who seem to be okay with it either way. huh?
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:41 pm

I remember that too Kel so I am guessing it must have been Van Wert '07 since we didn't go last year. It could have been UAG '07 too.

Gunther (GSP) PB 0'0"

www.nylabone.com
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm pretty positive it was Van Wert... so, you're right, it must have been '07. Sweet!
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rajah on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:38 am

I used to be one of those people that practically "handed off" the toy to Rajah. I then taught myself to get it out further in front of him. Milt told me that it needed to be out beyond the end of the dock (over the water), and the dogs feet must be off the ground when they grab the toy. Of course this was quite a while ago when he mentioned this, but that's what I know.
Rajah

My Name : Rajah's dad
My Pet(s) : Rajah (APBT), Cody, Phoenix, Tucson, & Rumor (GSPs)
Number of posts : 512
Aries Snake

http://www.flyinghighk9s.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top