ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

A few Q's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! A few Q's

Post by montanasprincess on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 pm

A couple of questions- What kinds of snacks are good for energy levels between competions? Where do people get the chest protectors- the ones that are spandex- I have seen some at stores that are more for hunting and are almost like a doggie life jacket.

montanasprincess

My Name : Karman
My Pet(s) : Montana & Sampson
Number of posts : 33
Libra Goat

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: A few Q's

Post by team sky on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Karman,

The vests (chest protectors) that you asked about are frequently purchased from www.K9topcoat.com. They are a sponsor for The ROCK and you can get a 15% discount at www.K9topcoat.com/product.aspspecific.173
The vests really offer very little protection, they are more for looks etc. although we have found that SKY knows what the vest means when we get it out at home.

We use something called Canine Super Fuel that we purchased on the net. I can get you the web address but do not have it in front of me at the moment. It is a powder that can either be added to the dogs water or fed dry over a little food. SKY loves the stuff and we have found that it does give an energy boost during events. I know that there others out there that feed some special "treats" for energy.

Hope that helps.

SKY
(SHR GUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel)
PB - Long Dock 24' 11"
PB - Short Dock 20'04"
PB - Catch it 42'5"
PB - Vertical 5' 4"
PB - Fetch-It 17'
2011 Catch-it National Champion
19 Career UAD Ultimate Victories

Star
(Sauk Rivers Shooting Star)
PB - Long dock 23'05"
PB - Fetch-it 21'
PB - UV 5'6"
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by montanasprincess on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks Brian-
Your information was helpful. I would be interested in the site to the canine fuel you talked about.

montanasprincess

My Name : Karman
My Pet(s) : Montana & Sampson
Number of posts : 33
Libra Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:24 pm

The site for Canine Super Fuel is:
www.K9power.com

SKY
PB - Long Dock 24' 11"
PB - Short Dock 20'04"
PB - Catch it 42'5"
PB - Vertical 5' 4"
PB - Fetch-It 17'

Star
PB - Long dock 23'05"
PB - Fetch-it 21'
PB - UV 5'6"
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Intellabs on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:55 am

How many use energy additives during uad competitions? What are the benefits of using it. Do you think you get a higher or farther jump? I am wondering if the benefits are worth the cost and are there any short ot long term health issues by using K-9 Superfuel or other energy additives?
Intellabs

My Name : Roger
My Pet(s) : Katie, Koko, Oberon, Kota, Sugar, Knitrous and Hershey
Cancer Goat

Back to top Go down

Post by team sky on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:16 am

Intellabs wrote:How many use energy additives during uad competitions? What are the benefits of using it. Do you think you get a higher or farther jump? I am wondering if the benefits are worth the cost and are there any short ot long term health issues by using K-9 Superfuel or other energy additives?

We use them in the beginning of the year because from November-February are dogs are not as active so we switch dog foods to a lower protein lower fat food. Normally when we compete and hunt Sky has been on Eukanuba Sporting Dog which is a 30/20 dog food. She is currently on Purina Dog Chow and it is mainly corn and rice meal. So at the first few events we use Superfuel because it increases the fat and protein. The more protein the better a dog is able to preform all weekend.

The other reason is I guess it is cheaper for us to buy superfuel or a similar item and add it to water and then feed the normal purina. Than it is for us to buy a 44 dollar bag of food every two weeks.

SKY
PB - Long Dock 24' 11"
PB - Short Dock 20'04"
PB - Catch it 42'5"
PB - Vertical 5' 4"
PB - Fetch-It 17'

Star
PB - Long dock 23'05"
PB - Fetch-it 21'
PB - UV 5'6"
team sky

Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyjackpack on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:44 am

We do not use any extra supplements during events but we also feed mainly RAW diet. During the day we tend to give them dried meats and such.. I find they need more to eat on the days that we are active.. I also feed one in the early morning before a day of jumping and then again at the end of the day. Sarah is very fussy on what we feed her crew.
crazyjackpack

My Name : Aimee and Sarah
My Pet(s) : Forrest Gumpy (gone but not forgotten) ,, Jitter Bug,, Cpt. Jack,, Shella , Staccato (I'm not a JRT), Clay (my first jump will be in July.. we hope)
Location : Rest is peace sweat Gumpy, UAG Master Champ, Jr. Handler Champ and Featherweight champ.
Number of posts : 550
Aquarius Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 pm

While I know a lot of people are big fans of certain supplements and/or "power fuels" and the like, I have to say I'm not big on them. The only supplements we feed are salmon oil and joint supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin. I've seen some dogs react VERY badly to many of the energy supplements out there (ranging from uncontrollable shaking, extreme sugar rushes, crashing afterwards, etc.)... plus I have never really seen any increased performance levels as a result of them. You might get a brief burst... but I'd say that's it, if that even. Human athletes I know stay away from them for the same reasons... and just stick to a good, balanced diet with variations depending on the type and time of events (more carbs for one, protein for another, etc.), along with maintaining very high fluid levels. Most of these human athletes are runners, bikers, jumpers, or a combination of such... mostly endurance athletes with some into sprint work.

We feed a very natural, high quality combination of foods and treats and fresh, clean water that is either their own from home or bought bottled to help prevent any stomach upset. We train very regularly and in multiple areas, so the dogs have a lot of endurance and strength and speed in various muscles (basically comparable to cross training in humans). I think that does a whole lot more for their performance and overall ability than strength or sugar supplements would. I believe the main thing is to routinely train and condition, feed a good quality balanced diet, and make sure your pups stay well hydrated.

If you're interested in what exactly we feed, how much, and how it sometimes varies depending on location or activity, I don't mind detailing any of that out either. Sweet!
Kel

My Name : "The Girl with the GSDs"
My Pet(s) : Aro, Scot, Jack Tar, Baako & Kon
Number of posts : 1673
Gemini

http://www.frozenfirek9s.com/Joomla/

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketdog on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:07 pm

We don't use supplements either, we do however feed extra treats or a little snack of their food when we have a long break between splashes. The treats are a high protein type. The treats are also used as a reward after a jump. Rocky is in pretty good shape but events can run down even a conditioned dog. It is important to keep them hydrated though. Rocky never wants to drink at events but we think that is because he absorbs water thru his skin while in the pool...
rocketdog

My Name : Jason
My Pet(s) : Rocky, Newman, and Leo
Number of posts : 897
Sagittarius Snake

http://www.teamrocketdog.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:50 am

Lol... Rocky the sponge dog. Snickering

We do the same as Jason... no supplements, but we do give high calorie/fat/protein snacks when there is a lull in activity (the lull is important, as you don't want to give a lot of food during high activity in order to avoid digestive issues). Small treats as rewards are fine with most dogs, too (exept perhaps those with very sensitive systems), as Jason notes. We do the same from time to time depending on the sport.

Also keep in mind that performance supplements, water additives like powders and gels, etc. of any kind are disallowed and against the rules in some sports... UKC weight pull being one, for example.
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by labpaw on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:07 am

We give Power Boost in the water at events, but the ONLY reason we do that is because my Labs won't drink water at events. Dang Nab It! And it isn't because they are plenty hydrated! Oops! I think their focus is elsewhere. It is very weird. Karaoke anyone?

If it hadn't been for that reason, I wouldn't probably use them either. It might help minimally towards keeping Colby's energy up, but he is an energetic guy, so it is hard to say. Abe doesn't have a problem with energy loss. Ever. running dog

Other than that, we use Cosequin and fish oil supplements to help with joint health. And of course, they get small treats throughout the event. That's it. paw

One thing I would suggest, if you are going to try any of these recommendations with supplements... try it at home, during the day, first. Just kidding! Reason being that if your dog does have some abnormal reaction, then you have access to you veterinarian. It doesn't happen very often, but it is worth trying at home during business hours, just in case. doc
labpaw

My Name : Alisa
My Pet(s) : Pooh, Colby, Gracie Lou, Abe, Stew, Web, Miss P, & Goo
Number of posts : 1061
Taurus Pig

http://www.teamblabador.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CoffeeDogs on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm with Alisa. I use Power Boost at events, only because my dogs won't drink, either. I have tried a few of the other drink additives, and this is the only one they will drink. As far as other supplements, I use an Omega3 and joint formula.

CoffeeDogs

My Name : Laura
My Pet(s) : Mocha & Kona
Number of posts : 126
Taurus Snake

http://www.teamcoffeedogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Mine don't drink at events either until we get back to the hotel. Come to think of it...they really don't jump at events until we get back to the hotel.

Gunther (GSP) PB 0'0"

www.nylabone.com
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:38 pm

I don't know who's more laid back- Matt or his dogs Ultimate Air Elation
One time, when Jake did decide to jump (and a nice one at that!), the crowd and the rest of the UAD people went nuts and cheered long and hard. Matt stood on the dock and gave his dog a nice smile.
We miss you, Matt!
Angela

Number of posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by TR75 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:10 pm

We should be doing more events this year. As a matter of fact, we already have our hotel booked for Premier.

Gunther (GSP) PB 0'0"

www.nylabone.com
TR75

My Name : Matt
My Pet(s) : Jake & Gunther
Sponsors : Nylabone
Number of posts : 1345
Gemini Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Awesome... we'll definitely be at Premier, as well. Sweet!

One thing I've tried when my boys aren't drinking enough (although they are usually pretty good about water intake), is mixing it with Wysong Uncanny (and using more water than the recommended amount). That way, they are getting a high nutrient snack, along with a good amount of water.

I also give them water from squirt bottles or sports bottles... because they think that's "fun" and more amusing than buckets. Lol.
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by DogsUnlimited on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:54 pm

A friend of mine custom makes the vests, so if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you some more info!!! Here is what they look like! Ultimate Air Elation

DogsUnlimited

My Pet(s) : Cajun, Champ, Bear, Hunter & Riot
Number of posts : 273
Sagittarius Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by SKY Sr. on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:21 pm

I am not sure that the following is going to post well or be readable, but to those who are opposed to extra nutrient supplements, here is the list of ingredients in the product we are using. Since it is designed to be used as a supplement to the food either in the food or mixed in the water, I think that you shoudl know what is in the product before you even consider using it.

Since many of you have mentioned giving "Extra Protein" snackage, I think you are porbably doing the same thing we are just without the name added to it.

if (linkornot==1)
document.write('')
document.write('[img]'+photos[0]+'[/img]')
if (linkornot==1)
document.write('')

I believe that we are all doing essentially the same thing but playing a symantics game. Any others want to chime in, you can see what the ingredients are and there is nothing that could be construed as harmful to your pet.
SKY Sr.

My Name : Brian L. Butler
My Pet(s) : UUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel aka "SKY" 3, Sauk River's Pointing Star - aka Star, and Dottie
Number of posts : 272
Scorpio Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kel on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Well, there's still a lot of extra stuff in there that we don't feed... Please understand, though, that I am by no means "opposed" to supplements or attacking your or anyone else's choice to feed them. To each their own. Sweet! I simply do not use them myself (mainly because of all the extra stuff thrown in, plus the often seen insane sugar/glucose/syrups levels, etc.) and don't often recommend them due to bad reactions I've seen (of course, some dogs may not react poorly at all). I also don't feed them because many have glucosamine and other joint supplements or fish oil thrown in, which we already feed... so I would be oversupplementing if I were to use the pre-packaged stuff. When we feed high calorie/protein/fat snacks, it is things like whole meats, veggies, fruits, etc., so the ingredients are actually a good bit different. Most only have one ingredient only. Others generally have no more than five ingredients.

Either way though, to each their own and USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND YOUR DOG! Ultimate Air Elation
Kel

Gemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top