ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Newbie with questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Newbie with questions

Post by montanasprincess on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:14 pm

We have particiapted in one UAD event in Novi and we just did the dock jumping which was a blast. We thought we might be interested in trying out on maybe the UV and Fetch it> Before we actually register though we would like to try it out first. We were focused so much on the dock jumping in Novi that I did not really pay much attention to the other events. Do they usually have some open dock time before these events for newbies to try them out? Milt was especially helpful on the dock jumping for me in particular so I would be open to tips from Milt and other UAD people who have done some of the other events. Also- what is fetch it? Is fetch it somewhat similar to the UV?

Karman & Montana paw

montanasprincess

My Name : Karman
My Pet(s) : Montana & Sampson
Number of posts : 33
Libra Goat

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Newbie with questions

Post by team sky on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:27 pm

montanasprincess wrote:We have particiapted in one UAD event in Novi and we just did the dock jumping which was a blast. We thought we might be interested in trying out on maybe the UV and Fetch it> Before we actually register though we would like to try it out first. We were focused so much on the dock jumping in Novi that I did not really pay much attention to the other events. Do they usually have some open dock time before these events for newbies to try them out? Milt was especially helpful on the dock jumping for me in particular so I would be open to tips from Milt and other UAD people who have done some of the other events. Also- what is fetch it? Is fetch it somewhat similar to the UV?

Karman & Montana paw

Here is a link to where fetch it has been described. http://ultimateair.dogsboard.net/everything-else-in-general-f1/what-is-fetch-it-t1674.htm#17506

But, I would tell you before you attempt any of the other events, make sure your dog is really comfortable going off the dock. Because in fetch it hesitation on the dock will kill you. As the toy starts out at ten feet.

But, yes there is usually open practice time for the sports. I would tell you to start with UV and then move to fetch it. With UV the toy is at 4'08" in competition. But Milt and others are really good at teaching dogs to do UV. Once the dog has learned uv it is very easy for them to pick up on catch it.

To really tell you the truth Fetch it is so new that their is a learning curve for everyone.

SKY
(SHR GUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel)
PB - Long Dock 24' 11"
PB - Short Dock 20'04"
PB - Catch it 42'5"
PB - Vertical 5' 4"
PB - Fetch-It 17'
2011 Catch-it National Champion
19 Career UAD Ultimate Victories

Star
(Sauk Rivers Shooting Star)
PB - Long dock 23'05"
PB - Fetch-it 21'
PB - UV 5'6"
team sky

My Name : Brian Butler
My Pet(s) : Sky
Number of posts : 709
Pisces Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by jtallen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm

UV and Catch It are really strategy events. Where to place your dog on the dock, what distance to start at. You really have to know your dog and how they run.
Becasue it was only Rogan's 2nd time at Fetch it, I started her at 10' by the time we got to 17' she was wearing down, next time I will start at 13'. all depends on your dog.
but I will echo Brian, your dog really has to be comfortable jumping before trying UV or FI.
Some say doing UV hurts a dog for distance as they learn to jump high and not long, and with FI your are teaching your dog to jump at an object only 2' above the dock and that might cause them to loose elevation when jumping in distance. Probably not a problem for really experienced distance dogs, but might confuse a new dog.
I looked at the pics of Rogan jumping on Sunday and she seemd to not be elevating off the dock, on Sunday after doing FI on Sat, as she has in the past - cause and effect???? don't know.
jtallen

My Pet(s) : Rogan, Molly, Maggie, Moose, Cracker
Number of posts : 1343
Leo Cat

http://www.teamsecondchance.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top