ULTIMATE AIR DOGS
Welcome to the ULTIMATE AIR DOGS Message Board!

Getting Maigee Wet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dont Miss! Getting Maigee Wet

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 am

I will be at the Van Wert Fair (it is my home county fair). I have a
new dog, named Maigee, who I adopted last February who I'm thinking about bringing
with me to see how she does. She loves to play in the creek by our
house, but I know there is a big difference between a pool and a
creek. I was wondering if anyone knew if there would be time to just
let her play around in the splash pool, as in not during a splash when
there are a lot of people around? This would, I think, be the best for
her to get used to the pool before there are lots of crowds around the
pool and lots of other dogs.

I'd love any tips you have to help her get ready for the transition
between the creek and the pool. Actually, the creek is a big step
because at first she hated water, until she discovered fish in the
water. She went in after one and had the funniest suprised look on her
face. After that, she's been willing to hop in after any sort of thing
that happens to move.

The past two weeks, we've been working on
chasing a frisbee into and through the water, but she can touch the
whole way across. There is a section that is down a bit that is deeper
and she will go in until it is up to her back, but won't go any deeper
(in other words, as long as she can touch the bottom, she is happy, but
if she has to swim, she is still hesitant). I've thought about taking
her to a neighbor's pond to try to get her in the deeper water, but I'm
not sure if we'll be able to do that. We actually have a swimming
pool, but she isn't allowed in the pool because my mother doesn't want
her to scratch the walls with her nails.

[Edit: I've never even watched an event like this, last year I was out of the country and my mother wrote to me about it, the year before, I was so busy I didn't get to watch. I believe last year, the splash pool was just across the creek from our camper, my mother said she could watch from our camper. Do you think it would be better for both of us if I went and watched this year, and we practiced for next year, or should we just do it this year and then work toward improving for next year?]

Last edited by salijackt on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Information)

Back to top Go down

Dont Miss! Re: Getting Maigee Wet

Post by SKY Sr. on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Maigee,

While I am not Milt and cannot answer for sure that there will time between splashes for you to try it out, I would encourage you to come out and try.
Based on your description, I would have to say that it probably won't be off the dock, but rather up the exit ramp and down into the pool on the ramp.
People do get into the pool and coax their dogs in as well which is always helpful. I would suggest that you bring your dog along with a toy that she/he really loves to chase. You will find that there are always UAD family around that are more than willing to help and provide direction with getting your friend into the game. This is almost always a very busy event with good size crowds, but you will find all of the UAD family to be very friendly and helpful.

I posted here in Milt's section because I know that he is at Belle Chere and very busy this weekend, I am sure that he will answer you back very soon.
SKY Sr.

My Name : Brian L. Butler
My Pet(s) : UUJCH USUV Santa Fe's Blonde Diesel aka "SKY" 3, Sauk River's Pointing Star - aka Star, and Dottie
Number of posts : 272
Scorpio Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks so much. That is what I was thinking, especially since I have several other shows and don't know what times I'll be free. I plan to bring her up some time and we can hang out and play on the ramp and see if she is willing to get wet. If anyone sees us around, please stop and introduce yourself. Maigee will probaly stand out - she is a border collie x pekingese mix, or at least that is what we think, she is a rescue. Most people don't believe me when I say that, but then they see her and agree! I'm short, heavy, and blonde. If the splash pool is where is was last year, our camper is the first on the left after you cross the bridge over the creek.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Maigee and I had a lot of fun at the fair and I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in working with her in the pool. Maigee had fun and actually jumped into our swimming pool from the dock the other day without any encouragement from me (I must get a gate to put up so she doesn't jump in when I'm not around).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum